The absolute worst time for the air conditioner to act up is now—and that’s when it happens! Should you find yourself with underperforming or non-functioning AC-- and you are awaiting the service provider to the rescue—here are some helpful hints to keep cool.
- Use box and ceiling fans to keep air circulating. Open doors throughout so circulation is not blocked. Open windows at night (if feasible) and close windows, blinds, etc. during day.
- Leverage the power of water: Soak feet in cool water. Keep a cool towel or bandana around your neck. Take a cool shower. Spritz with cool water. Get in a pool (if you can!) or the ocean!
- If your home is more than one level, stay below (you know this—heat rises)! Eliminate heat producing sources when not necessary, i.e. stove, overhead lights, etc.
- Stay hydrated and avoid caffeine and alcohol. Eating “lighter” so you can avoid increasing your metabolic rate/body temp.
- This is a great time to visit the Mall or movies or STAY with a family member who you are overdue to spend time with (if your system is being replaced)!