One thing all of our neighborhoods have in common in the summer, from Julington Creek to Ponte Vedra Beach to Riverside: EXCESSIVE HEAT AND HUMIDITY! Our “summer” is one long, very hot season. If you have lived in this area for just one summer, you probably know this but it bears repeating and is especially important for our newly relocated neighbors from other parts of the country or world!!
SIMPLE TIPS FOR DEALING WITH HEAT AND HUMIDITY
- Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Don’t wait until you feel parched and eat high water content foods. Stay away from caffeine and alcohol!
- Shut the blinds, turn off the lights, and avoid using heat producing appliances and plan meals that involve minimal cooking!
- Wear loose fitting, light colored and protective clothing when outdoors (think brimmed hat!). Avoid strenuous physical activity, especially during the daylight hours. SUNSCREEN is a MUST!
- Do not leave children or pets in parked cars--EVER!
- Monitor loved ones and neighbors who are most susceptible: elderly or very young