- Filter replacement or cleaning – This is so easy to overlook, but by replacing or cleaning your filter, you can ensure that your unit is running efficiently. When your unit is running more, tend to the filters twice a month. During slower times, once a month is adequate. Mark on your calendar to remember this task.
- Outdoor coils - This is one of the biggest items to keep your unit running at peak performance is to make sure the air is freely flowing over the outdoor unit’s coil. Make sure the unit is free from debris, foliage, or anything that might restrict air flow.
- Clean air ducts – In addition to allowing air to flow more freely throughout your home, the benefits of clean air ducts include:
- Less dust and bacteria in the air
- Lower energy bills
- Better indoor air quality
- Less pet dander
- Fresher smell throughout your home
4. Routine maintenance – At least once a year, your unit should be serviced by a trained HVAC technician. In some instances, doing the work yourself could void your warranty. Contact your HVAC provider for specials on regular maintenance. There are also opportunities for extended warranties by going through your HVAC service provider.