Having focused on appliance life expectancy and maintenance this month, we thought a bit of discussion about successful fire mitigation might be relevant as well. This information comes from a class some of our FPM Properties property managers attended recently courtesy of Puro Clean. Here are some quick facts:
84% of all fires happen in single family homes
49% of fire damage is from cooking
Some of the primary causes of residential fires:
- Open flames & sparks
- Electrical wiring & fixtures
- Cooking (see above!)
- Low temperature ignition
If not mitigated within 48-72 hours, smoke damage is compounded, much like moisture damage.
Simple steps to prevention can’t hurt: KEEP IT CLEAN! Wipe down interior of microwave, keep interior, burners and hood vent clean on the stove, and keep dryer lint free. Be aware of condition of the power cords. Anything that could be flammable or create a blockage is a problem in the making…..